BBC Scones: A Delectable Recipe to Elevate Your Tea Time Delights
Scones are a beloved British treat, perfect for elevating your tea time delights. And when it comes to scones, the BBC recipe is a classic that never fails to impress. These delectable pastries have a light and fluffy texture, with a hint of sweetness that pairs perfectly with a dollop of clotted cream and jam. Whether you're hosting an afternoon tea or simply craving a comforting snack, BBC scones are sure to satisfy your taste buds. So, let's dive into the ingredients and steps required to create these delightful treats!
Ingredients required for BBC Scones
To make delicious BBC scones, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup of dried fruit or chocolate chips for added flavor
These simple ingredients come together to create a light and fluffy scone that is perfect for tea time. Make sure to have them all on hand before you begin the baking process.
Step-by-step instructions for making BBC Scones
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 350g of self-raising flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
3. Add 85g of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, and rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in 3 tbsp of caster sugar and make a well in the center.
5. In a separate jug, whisk together 175ml of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the well and use a fork to gradually incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until it forms a soft dough.
7. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it for a minute until smooth.
8. Roll out the dough to about 2cm thickness and use a round cutter to cut out scones.
9. Place the scones onto the prepared baking tray, brush the tops with some milk or beaten egg, and sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for around 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
11. Once baked, transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving warm with clotted cream and jam.
Note: Be careful not to overwork the dough as this can result in tough scones. Enjoy these delicious BBC Scones as part of your tea time delights!
Tips and tricks for perfecting your BBC Scones
1. Use cold ingredients: Make sure your butter, milk, and eggs are chilled before incorporating them into the dough. This will help create a flaky texture.
2. Don't overmix: When combining the dry and wet ingredients, mix just until everything comes together. Overmixing can result in tough scones.
3. Handle the dough gently: Be careful not to overwork the dough when shaping it. Use a light touch to prevent the scones from becoming dense.
4. Keep it cold: Before baking, chill the shaped scones in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This helps maintain their shape and prevents spreading during baking.
5. Brush with egg wash: For a golden brown crust, brush the tops of the scones with an egg wash made by whisking together an egg and a tablespoon of milk or cream.
6. Bake at the right temperature: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) for perfectly baked scones. The high heat will help create a nice rise and crisp exterior.
7. Allow them to cool: After removing from the oven, let your scones cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. This allows them to set properly and enhances their flavor.
By following these tips, you'll be able to achieve bakery-worthy BBC Scones that are tender, buttery, and absolutely delicious!
Serving suggestions and variations for BBC Scones
Serving suggestions for BBC Scones are endless, making them a versatile treat. For a classic touch, serve warm scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. If you prefer a savory twist, pair them with smoked salmon and cream cheese. For a sweet indulgence, drizzle them with melted chocolate or sprinkle powdered sugar on top. You can also experiment with different flavors by adding dried fruits, nuts, or even cheese to the dough. Get creative and enjoy these delightful scones in any way that suits your taste buds!
In conclusion, BBC Scones are a delightful treat that can elevate your tea time experience. With their light and fluffy texture, buttery flavor, and versatility in serving options, these scones are sure to impress. Whether enjoyed plain with a cup of tea or dressed up with jam and clotted cream, BBC Scones are a classic British delicacy that will never go out of style. So why not take some time to indulge in the art of baking and treat yourself to these delectable delights? Happy baking!
Published: 22. 12. 2023